Sunday, May 29, 2011

Vietnam in advance

I'll be in Southeast Asia next week, but I made this the other day so I'm posting anyway. I discovered sweet potato noodles through a package of Korean ramen I bought a while back, and I love them because a) they've got a wonderful stretchy chewy bouncy wonderful texture and b) they're made just from sweet potato starch, so my celiac mother can eat them. We had a lot of mint in the house, so I improvised this, based loosely on the flavors of Vietnamese spring rolls and laarb, and served it with grilled pork loin and those mint potatoes from two posts ago. Lovely summer dinner.

Vietnamese Noodle Salad
1 package sweet potato noodles (from Asian markets, probably the Korean section)
Handful (preferably fresh) mint
Handful basil
garlic
soy sauce
a few shakes of fish sauce
sriracha to taste
Optional firm or fried tofu and/or shrimp, if you're into that

Cook the sweet potato noodles til done. Set aside to cool.

Roughly chop the herbs. (Cilantro would probably also go well.) Mince the garlic or put it through a press. Toss everything together, making sure the noodles are coated with dressing. Serve room temp or chilled.

No comments: