Saturday, May 26, 2012

I love avocados more than life itself

So here are some things I've been doing with them:

Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich
I got one of these at Pret a Manger in the DC train station a while back, so here's my version. It tastes better on a good buttery baguette, but is far less messy as a wrap. Your call.

Avocado
Finely sliced red onion or shallots
Chopped black olives - for christ sake use the good marinated herby kind, not that crap out of a can
Hummus
Spinach
Tomato slices
Cucumber slices
S&P to taste
A few shakes of cayenne
Drizzle of olive oil

Put all of the above on a baguette or wrap. Bring napkins

Guacamole
I know everybody has their own guacamole recipe. This is mine, and it's really good. If you're a purist who says guac should contain only avocados, lime juice, and salt, then I have nothing to say to you.

Avocados
Garlic, roughly 1 clove per avocado
Cumin - 2 shakes per avocado
Salt
Lime juice - 1tsp per avocado
Cayenne - 1 shake per avocado
Chopped tomatoes.

Slice ripe avocados into a bowl. Add minced or garlic-pressed garlic, salt to taste, lime juice, cayenne, and cumin. Mash well (fork or pastry blender, or food processor if you like it totally smooth, which I don't.) Taste, preferably using a tortilla chip, so you get the context. Add more of whatever it needs, probably lime & salt. Mix in the chopped tomatoes at the end.

Bacon Burgers
I had burgers the other day made with bacon ground into the meat, and they were awesome. I put avocado on top.

Mix two parts ground beef to one part finely chopped raw bacon. Mix in shredded sharp cheddar and a dollop of bbq and/or Worcestershire sauce if you're feeling adventurous. Grill. Admire drippy cheese stalactites. If you're me, top with sliced tomato, mashed avocado, ketchup, bbq sauce, pickle flavored potato chips, and more cheese on seeded rye bread. Drool.

On Toast with Eggs
My favorite breakfast ever. Slow-scramble an egg or two (egg + salt + black pepper + a splash  of water/milk/almond milk/cream; beat; cook over the lowest heat you have the patience for so they're nice and soft, stirring often). Toast some sourdough bread. Find one of those avocados that's about two hours short of being overripe and spreads like butter. Toast + thick layer of said avocado + scrambled eggs + a little more salt & pepper on top. Also good with a few strips of bacon if you're feeling decadent, and/or melted cheddar, salsa, seasoning of your choice. But no embellishment required.


Etc.
And in that same vein, here's a link to bacon guacamole grilled cheese, which I can't believe I didn't think of sooner:  www.closetcooking.com/2012/01/bacon-guacamole-grilled-cheese-sandwich.html

Also I ate camel sausage this past weekend. Check that one off the life list. And thanks to my little sister for a spot-on birthday present.

No comments: